Discovered this little gem of a video thanks to a site called Wit and Fancy, a self-proclaimed independent digital magazine aimed at educated young women and covering the issues they care about from politics to fashion. (Love the concept, though the ad for a Dominican dating site seems a bit out of place.) Anyway, look past the ads to check out the content and you’ll find some good stuff. Frankly, I’m in support of anything that gets away from the Cosmo formula of which moisturizer to buy, how to accessorize and mix prints, and how to get/keep/satisfy a man. Puh-lease!
After watching this clip I’m an even bigger fan of Scarlett Johansson, though I do wish she had unleashed what was really on her mind. It’s pretty clear, as she glances at her publicist sitting off-camera, that she is unhappy and trying to show some restraint. This is a talented actress but what does everyone want to know — whether or not she wore underwear under a superhero costume. Pretty sure no one asked Jeremy Renner that question. That the interviewer was so obviously caught off guard by her annoyance and that he was the fifth person that day to ask the same silly question speaks volumes about how women are viewed in the media. Who cares what she did to prepare for such a physically demanding role or whether she did all those stunts — we want to know what kind of Victoria Secret naughtiness is hidden by the Black Widow’s costume.
Here’s how it goes:
1. If you’re too pretty, then you can’t be all that smart.
2. If you’re sexy, then you really can’t be very smart.
3. If you’re not pretty, then you must be really smart.
4. If you want to be heard, be attractive. But not too pretty, see #1.
5. If you want to be ignored, be as unattractive as possible. Gain weight if you have to. Fat and ugly are sure to get you stuck in a corner.
6. Don’t be confrontational. That’s just being a bitch and no one likes a bitch.
7. If you are going to be confrontational, smile when you do it. And try to look pretty. That will make you seem less bitchy.
8. Be sexy and you will get attention. Show some skin but not too much. It’s a thin line between sexy and slutty.
9. No one listens to a slut. Remember that whole Rush Limbaugh/Sandra Fluke thing?
The list goes on and on.
Too bad Scarlett didn’t tell that guy what she was really thinking. Too bad he didn’t ask her. Too bad this clip didn’t make news. Too bad more people read Cosmo than Wit and Fancy. Too bad we aren’t doing more to change all of it.
Too bad this is one topic that is certainly “To be continued…”